“725 Squadron Royal Australian Naval MH-60R” vintage style military aviation art by – Squadron Posters!
725 Squadron Royal Australian Naval MH-60R
725 Squadron Royal Australian Naval MH-60R poster art.
725 Squadron is the Royal Australian Naval (RAN) unit first MH-60R squadron. First formed in 1943 as a Royal Naval unit, and one of the first squadrons that formed the RAN’s Fleet Air Arm in 1948. Most recently the squadron re-formed at NAS Jacksonville in 2013, 725 Squadron is now based at Nowra, on the New South Wales south coast, back home in Australia. Today and into the future, 725 Squadron is and will continue to be focused on training the next generation of MH-60R aviators. In doing so, 725 Squadron will ensure that the MH-60R will feature prominently in the Royal Australian Naval mission of fighting and winning in the maritime environment as an element of a joint or combined force for decades to come.
725 Squadron provides operational flight training to Pilots, Maritime Aviation Warfare Officers and Sensor Operators on the MH-60R helicopter. The MH-60R Seahawk is the Royal Australian Naval units next generation submarine hunter and anti-surface warfare helicopter and will form a very important part of it’s operations for years to come. The MH-60R is equipped with highly sophisticated combat systems designed to employ Hellfire air-to-surface missiles and the Mark 54 anti-submarine torpedo. The primary missions of the ‘Romeo’ helicopter are anti-submarine warfare and anti-surface warfare. Secondary missions include search and rescue, logistics support, personnel transport and medical evacuation.
725 Squadron is based at HMAS Albatross at Nowra on the south coast of New South Wales, Australia. Airborne training is conducted throughout the region. HMAS Albatross, also known as Naval Air Station (NAS) Nowra, is an airfield operated by the Royal Australian Military, in support of the RAN’s aviation branch, the Fleet Air Arm. The base, was established in 1941 as Royal Australian Air Force base RAAF Nowra, then was transferred to the Royal Naval units as HMS Nabbington in 1944, and operated as a naval air station until it was decommissioned in late 1945. In 1948, the airfield was commissioned into the RAN as HMAS Albatross, as the primary shore base for the Fleet Air Arm. As of 2011, four squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm operate from Albatross.